Thursday 2 October 2014

Naked Basics Palette


I cannot tell you how long I have had this in my collection and yet it is still to be blogged about due to me not really reaching to it until this new 90's nude trend has set in. Originally I bought this to see what all the hype about Urban Decay eyeshadows was all about, in hindsight, this was a poor decision choice as I'm more of a shimmer kinda gal. I don't really know why I was drawn to this over the other UD palettes (however since buying this, I did end up purchasing the Naked 2 Palette!) I genuinely think it had to do with the cheap price for a high end item. For the princely sum of £22, you do get a set of lovely quality shadows, I was expecting this to be bigger, not sure why as it is perfect handbag/make up bag size. As I previously mentioned, as a shimmer lover, first impressions were pretty low and it did end up at the back of my eyeshadow drawer for quite some time, I think it was the impending release of the new Naked 2 Basics that made me give it another chance. The palette is housed in this mid brown rubberised case which is not as nice to the touch as the usual tin feel of the larger guys of the naked range, but super compact for on the go.

The overall quality of these eyeshadows is as every other blogger states, they are massively pigmneted and blendable. However, I found that the solid matte black was a little chalky when not used with a primer, I may be the only one here. The colours are so much better when used on top of a primer and this also reduces the fall out you do get with some of the shades.

(Top Row L-R: Venus, Foxy, Walk Of Shame/Bottom Row L-R: Naked 2, Faint, Crave, swatched on top of Benefits Stay Don't Stray primer)

As you can see you do get a nice range of shades, the only satin shade here actually being Venus, a lovely champagne and definately my fave of the bunch (surprise!). Foxy is pretty much a matte nude, so nude it doesn't really show up on the lid, which has its positives for blending. Walk of Shame is a lovely base shadow for me, it really doesn't show up well unless you're using a primer underneath however. Now on to the, in my opinion, better and bolder shades. Naked 2 is a nice lid colour and looks fab when you blend a dark shimmer in the crease. Faint is pretty much my eye colour so I feel like it enhances the tones within the iris. Finally you have a matte black in the form of Crave which makes for a great liner when used wet, and is awesome when put in the socket.

In my opinion, Urban Decay eyeshadows are only really great if you're wearing a really good primer underneath, as they are never quite as bold without. I am looking forward to potentially purchasing the Basics 2, but I'm so hooked on the original Basics 2 palette that I'm not quite sure I wanna part with using it so much.

All in all, this baby palette is great if you're hot for matte nudes, also fun to play around but still very basic all the same. I personally don't feel like I could rely on just this, I'd probably take my Body Shop shimmer cubes alongside for a touch of sparkle.

You can pick this up at feel unique for £22.

Emma x

0 comments:

Post a Comment